Major League Baseball’s playoffs are underway, and the St. Louis Cardinals are in a tough series against the Los Angeles Dodgers. St. Louis, of course, is close to the epicenter of civil disobedience that’s broken out after white officer Darren Wilson shot and killed 18-year-old unarmed black Ferguson resident Mike Brown. And last night, Cardinals fans began chanting in support of Officer Wilson in a confrontation with Ferguson protestors. Things pretty much devolved from there. Here’s video:
Deadspin’s Tom Ley points out some of the most upsetting moments:
- We start off with a bang. At about the 22-second mark, an old white Cardinals fan begins telling the protesters–all of whom appear to be black–that they need to get jobs. He looks right in the camera, proudly, and says, "That’s right! If they’d be working, we wouldn’t have this problem!"
- At about the 1:30 mark, the crowd of Cardinals fans begin drowning out the protesters’ chants with a "Let’s go Cardinals!" chant. Well, they could be saying worse things…
- At the 2:40 mark, they start saying much worse things. The "Let’s go Cardinals!" chant has turned into a "Let’s go Darren!" chant. Cool.
- At 8:10 one of the Cardinals fans calls one of the protesters a "crack head" and tells him he needs to go see a dentist.
- At 8:50 the "Let’s go Cardinals" chant starts up again.
- At 9:05 one of the Cardinals fans starts telling one of the protesters that if he ever "saw him in the street" he would "look at the ground." They argue for a bit about who would and would not whip whose ass.
- At about 10:25 a small blonde lady starts yelling at the protesters: "We’re the ones who gave all y’all the freedoms that you have!"
Yeah, it’s ugly.