Halloween is just 10 days away–and so are the annual nightmares that come along with it.
Over at Native Appropriations, Adrienne Keene provides a roundup of several years’ worth of posts about why it’s a really bad idea to dress up like an Indian. (A bonus post explains what to do when your friend dresses up like an Indian, too!) If you’re still not positive that you shouldn’t dress up like an Indian, then this post is for you.
- Paris Hilton as a "Sexy Indian": The Halloween Fallout Begins
- We are not a costume
- Halloween Costume Shopping: A sampling of the racism for sale
- Open Letter to the PocaHotties and Indian Warriors this Halloween
- So you wanna be an Indian for Halloween?
- Open Letter to the Pocahotties: The annotated version
- So your friend dressed up as an Indian. Now what?
- The one stop for all your "Indian costumes are racist" needs!
And if the list seems like a little too much to read, here’s Keene’s wrap up:
Native peoples are a contemporary, LIVING group of people, not a costume. Seriously. Stop putting us in the same category as wizards and clowns. Don’t believe me? Come to a Native event dressed like that, and see how many friends you make! Fun for everyone!
So, what are you dressing up as?