Here’s what I’m reading up on this morning:
- Oscar Pistorius is sentenced to five years for killing Reeva Steenkamp.
- Total CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in a crash in his private plane at Moscow’s airport; he was in Russia to further expand his oil empire.
- The CDC finally issues new Ebola protective gear guidelines for healthcare workers that state what seems obvious, like covering up so that no skin is exposed.
- A former Marine convicted of sexual assault confesses to killing seven women; investigators believe Darren Vann may have killed even more women.
- China posts its slowest growth in five years (although at 7.3 percent, I’m still trying to figure out why that’s so alarming).
- Apple Pay is here.
- "Saturday Night Live" welcomes Leslie Jones.
- A cell transplant helps a man with a severe spinal cord injury walk again.
- It’s getting hot in here: 2014 may turn out to be the warmest year ever recorded.