This is what I’m reading up on now:
- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is stepping down.
- Rest in peace, Marion Berry. 1934-2004.
- Tamir Rice, 12, was shot and killed by Cleveland police over the weekend. An investigation is underway.
- Meanwhile, Brooklyn is mourning the death of 28-year-old Akai Gurley, who was shot and killed by a rookie police officer in what the department is calling an accident.
- An ex-NBC employee recounts how he helped Bill Cosby pay women off. Also: Comedian Hannibal Burress speaks out after a recent performance of his kicked off the most recent round of controversy surrounding Bill Cosby.
- Odell Beckham Jr. made what may have been the best catch of the season in the New York Giants’ game against the Dallas Cowboys.
- Gawker Media’s Nick Denton writes about Uber. The car service, he says, has the economic characteristics of a monopoly and the arrogance that goes with such market dominance. And that arrogance has created the political conditions for anti-trust action."
- Michael Brown’s neighbors want out, reports Joel Anderson at BuzzFeed.