Here’s what I’m reading up on this morning:
- The Centers for Disease Control confirms the first U.S. case of Ebola in Dallas and admits more may be infected.
- Chinese National Day kicks off amid continuing massive protests in Hong Kong.
- At least seven Afghan soldiers are killed and 20 more wounded following twin suicide bombing attacks in Kabul.
- Meet NATO’s new chief, Jens Stoltenberg.
- Obama is set to speak at Northwestern Thursday*, where he’ll talk about American economic exceptionalism.
- An app called ScratchJr is teaching children as young as five how to code.
- The NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been penalized for his prayer–especially since religious expressions are protected by the league.
- According to a new (and pretty dope interactive) report, the United States is the eighth best country to grow old in; Norway tops the list.
- Guess what? Wild chimpanzees develop culture, too.
*Post has been updated since publication to reflect that Obama will speak at Northwestern on Thursday, October 2, rather than today, October 1.