Some of the morning’s headlines:
- After 54 years of an embarrassing and utterly ineffective embargo against Cuba, a tiny island nation roughly the size of the state of Tennessee, the U.S. decides to normalize relations.
- Cuba’s leading newspaper (which is in Spanish) is pretty much thrilled about normalizing relations with the U.S. The Miami Herald? Not so much.
- Sony cancels the release of “The Interview,” a movie created with the help of the U.S. State Department in which North Korea’s Kim Jong Un is assassinated, after movie theater bombing threats.
- Putin blames other countries for his country’s economic crisis.
- New York Governor Cuomo bans fracking.
- BlackBerry, which apparently still makes phones, launches a quasi retro model.
- “The Colbert Show” will air its last episode Thursday evening.
- A new study indicates that a mother’s exposure to air pollution while pregnant doubles the child’s risk of autism.
- Your top moments from space for 2014.