Here’s what I’m reading up on this first day of August:
- A 72-hour ceasefire between Israel and Hamas extinguishes after just three hours.
- A series of gas blasts kill at least 25 people in Taiwan.
- The House postpones vacations for at least one day while it tries to figure out what to do about immigration.
- Speaking of the House, Eric Cantor (R-Va.) is leaving a lot sooner than expected.
- Unemployment climbs a fraction up to 6.2 percent.
- Facebook brings free, but very limited, internet to cell phone users in Zambia.
- The James Brown biopic opens in theaters today.
- California beaches have been graced by gorgeous velella velellas.